Monday, August 7, 2017

What Did He Expect?


Here's a comment post from "harndawg" in an article about the non-news story of Colin Kaepernick not being picked by the Miami Dolphins football team. His remarks focus on how critical thinking no longer plays into youth's decision making about the consequences of their actions, but are based more on how they believe their importance overrides any critical thinking.
===============
Just my two cents, but here are a few of my thoughts/rants:

1. Not Standing for the flag: There are so many things I could say here so I will try to make it short. I am 20 yr. vet of the military, the military fought for his right to not stand for the flag…I don’t like it, but he has that right. That said, for every action (positive or negative) there is always a reaction. In this case, what did you think would happen Mr. Kaepernick??? I hope you did not think that (to paraphrase the Rock) “the millions…(and millions)…” of NFL football fans would all be on your side in this…to say nothing of TV networks, sponsors and (oh yea) football owners. You had to know going in that you were going to piss off the very same people you were hoping would support you, and that those people that you pissed off might send a message back to you.

2. Fans: I think that one of the issues fans have with you protesting the flag was that you have no problem staying, living and making a lot of money (well maybe not so much now) in the country that flag represents, yet on the other hand you’re going to disrespect that same flag for your personal issues. In essence it seems like your saying “it’s alright to take your money…but not alright to at least respect the flag of the country that provided you that opportunity to get where you are.” I don’t think you understand how lucky you are to be in a country that allows you this right…try doing this in North Korea, China, Russia or even the Middle East.

3. Business: Here is a very hard pill to swallow, The NFL (as well as MLB, NBA and the NHL) are a business. The bottom line for owners is making money. If I worked at McDonalds or a Major Corporation like Northrop Grumman, should I do something that the organization I work for is unhappy with, they won’t hire me again. Why would the NFL be any different? To quote (L. Ron Hubbard I believe from one of his SF books) “Banking is Banking and Business is Business…” you made a decision that could affect Banking and Business…did you think it would not affect you? 

4. Skill: Here is the hardest pill to swallow…You’re a gifted QB…but not that gifted…If your skill level was so much better than other QB…you would have been hired months ago. Look back at the NFL over the last 5 years and see how many other players have screwed up far worse they your actions…and yet they were back in the NFL the following season…things that should make you co…hmmmmmmmm
I would love to say more…but this is longer than I wanted it to be and to be honest, longer then you deserve…

No comments:

Post a Comment