Wednesday, June 5, 2019

This Is What Bravery Looks Like


It was not too many years after the massacre at Tiananmen Square event that I was waiting outside my school building after students had gone home and an evening event in the gym was going to happen later, that I had a conversation with a Chinese man who was standing out in front in the same area. I had no idea who he was, other than a father of a student at my school, his background, expertise, nothing.

I struck up a conversation with him and I asked him about what he thought of this event which occurred 30 years ago (only a few years prior at that time).  At the time he told me, I was a bit surprised at what he had to say about the future of China. Now, after almost three decades, I'm stunned at how accurate he was in his predictions. 

Suffice it to say that what he said was prophetic.  He told me that China was setting a long-range plan to develop the "lion's share" of the global market in trade, and that their means of doing so would be viewed by the rest of the free world as tyrannical.  America, he said, would have no idea what hit us until after the fact.

How correct he was! And, I'll never forget that conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment