Thursday, September 14, 2017

I Too Have No Self-Esteem!


I challenge anyone to watch this video, carefully think about what Matt Walsh says about this topic, and argue convincingly that he's full of "#&it". Most students are being sold a fallacy today by well-meaning teachers.

I agree 100% with what Matt Walsh explains here. Why? Because not only does it make inarguable sense to anyone with half a brain, but I experienced the very things he points out as examples; math and athletics to be precise.

I didn't do well with math as a student, but over time and persistence, I eventually improved by putting effort into learning it better than I had when I was younger. I may not have been the best distance runner in the state I went to high school in, but because I committed myself to more effort in my training, I eventually became a respectable marathoner; finishing 166th out of 4,000 in the Boston back in 1975 while in my early 20s and the second fastest time(2:33:25) in the nation for NAIA Div. III colleges in 1978 in my mid-20s, which earned my track team 8 points at the national meet. 

Accomplishing these things, along with getting my bachelors, and eventually a masters degree in education, I improved my self-worth and was more able to give my students what they needed in my classes; attention, compassion, interest in them as an individual, and passing on values of applying one's talents and strengths to them. 

After all, isn't this what being a teacher's all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment