Friday, April 7, 2017

Remember the Mizzou Kerfuffle?

In checking my emails and looking through the various articles for the latest developments, I stumbled across a comment which contained a link. Upon opening that link, I was shocked to learn that the particular professor who was at the center of the protest/riot controversy several months ago at Missouri State University campus was hired by a college I am an alumni of after being fired by Mizzou!

This prompted me to communicate my sentiments regarding this revelation... here it is:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dear President McCullogh,

I guess it's a good thing that your basketball team won big this season. After all, it brings in the bucks! But, the news I learned today causes me to contact you.

As an alumni who acquired my masters degree from your university, I am appalled and ashamed to learn that Professor Melissa Click - formerly of Mizzou, where she was fired for her actions at a protest - has been hired at your institution. I don't understand why, but the idea repulses me.


As a retired public school teacher (K-12), and currently a Pierce County Planning Commissioner, I want to thank whoever was responsible for hiring Ms. Click at Gonzaga U. for confirming my decision to NEVER financially support an institution of higher learning who is willing to bring onto their staff someone who saw fit to "muscle" a reporter and ignore their 1st amendment right of free speech and assembly. I don't know about Gonzaga U's. staff, but I take such Constitutional rights seriously.

I will no longer mention to anyone I see in public, wearing a G.U. piece of gear - sweatshirt, t-shirt, hat, etc. - that I also am an alumni of G.U., nor will I advise any high school students to consider applying for G.U., as I am now embarrassed to be associated with a school that chooses to support such radicals who subvert our country's freedoms and liberties.

I hope this sentiment of mine is only one of many that come from fellow alumni!

J.M.H., WA

No comments:

Post a Comment