Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Are These Our Future Leaders?

From an Oregon Resident:

While I was getting a coffee, I overheard 7 young people (22-26 years old, 5 males, 2 female) who have been protesting in downtown Portland the last two nights.
 
I told them I was doing research and asked nicely if they would answer some questions. They were cool with it, so I sat down and went for it.
 
Ø Three voted. Of the four who didn't, none was registered to vote.
 
Ø None of them researched independently either candidate.
 
Ø All were for Hillary but preferred Bernie.
 
Ø Why the Democratic Candidate?

· "More things are taken care of."
· "Time to have a woman President."
· "Democrats aren't sexist or racist."
 
Ø Six of them live at home.
 
Ø All are under their parents insurance.
 
Ø Two have "real" jobs.
 
Ø Three aren't working, nor are they trying hard to find a job either.
 
Ø Parents pay for everything in their life or subsidize it.
 
Ø Six get money from mom or dad every month.
 
Ø Two have been on unemployment for 6+ months.
 
Ø One is at Portland State U, doesn't work, and parents pay for everything.
 
Ø All 7 said Trump is a racist/sexist. I asked to cite proof ... "That tape, man!"
 
Ø When I asked, as a man myself, “Have you ever said anything like that when you've been hanging out with your buddies? All five males said "Yes."
 
Ø Would you say it if you knew you were on tape? All five answered "No."
 
Ø What's the difference? I asked. “You've all said bad stuff like that.
Does that mean you hate women and are a sexual predator?"
 
Nothing. No answer.
 
Ø None could tell me how our government works ... they didn't know how laws are passed, how the House of Representatives or the Senate work.
 
Ø None could explain how a bill is passed.
 
Ø Only one could tell me the difference between legal and illegal immigration. One of them said, "Legal immigration is when you immigrate legally." Seriously.
 
Ø None could explain the purpose of the Electoral College or how it works.
 
In 10 minutes they felt they had explained everything. Nice kids ... but so ignorant. I know some awesome, phenomenal young adults; but I'm afraid the majority are like these seven. Too many participation trophies, too much coddling by parents and teachers.
 
In 1944 18 year-olds stormed the beach at Normandy into almost certain death.
 
In 2016 18-year-olds feel unsafe because words hurt their feelings.
 
Admit it or not, this country is in deep "do do"!

No comments:

Post a Comment